Re: Rsync fails on local transfers

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 17Jul2007 11:16, Justin W <jlist@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Justin W wrote:
I've got a script I wrote up which backs up my computer using rsync.  A
short overview is that I created a file system image using dd,
Don't you create filesystems with mkfs/e2mkfs ?
You need to use dd to make a file to _hold_ the filesystem, but that's
just a chunk of data; it's not a filesystem until you use mkfs.
Not if the file system already exists and you just make a bit-for-bit copy. I achieved that with a command along the lines of `dd if=/dev/mapper/System-fc6 of=/mnt/external_hd/system_backup_file bs=4K`, which then copied my filesystem as it exactly was. Then that image can be mounted using a loop device (`mount -o loop /mnt/external_hd/system_backup_file /mnt/backup_mount_point`)

Half of rsync is crashing; it forks. Run "strace -f", and then look at the pid that _isn't_ the one printing the error message.
I eventually figured out that rsync has two parts to it (see BZ#248663), but this would have been nice to know about before that. Thanks, and I'll remember that for later! Even knowing that there was a segfault would have helped: I spent hours trying to figure out if cron was killing what it might have thought to be a "dead" process. I was only lucky enough today to get a manual run of the script to fail on me.

Justin W