Re: Palm T|X on Fedora 7

Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 15:13 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Craig White wrote:
I am struggling trying to make a Palm T|X work on Fedora 7

The problem *may* lie with the fact that in order to make this box work
(A Dell Optiplex 320), that I have to add 'pci=nomsi acpi=off' kernel
params on bootup.

udevinfo tells me all about the device.

I can see the device exists when I plug it in and check it via

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB* and
ls -l /dev/pilot

but even if I try (as root),

pilot-xfer -l -p /dev/ttyUSB1 or pilot-xfer -l -p /dev/pilot show
nothing at all

Is the problem my kernel parameters?

It probably isn't your kernel parameters. If it were, then
/dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/USB1 most likely not be created. What happens
if you use /dev/ttyUSB0? Or, if you have more then 2 ttyUSB*
entries, try using /dev/ttyUSB2. I don't remember if the T|X uses
the first or second USB serial port that is created when you hit sync...
----
OK - didn't know the impact of the kernel params

# ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 2007-07-17 09:52 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 1 2007-07-17 09:52 /dev/ttyUSB1

and from dmesg...
usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
visor 4-2:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
usb 4-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usb 4-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1

but while the palm is using ttyUSB0/1 - I get nada...

# pilot-xfer -l -p /dev/ttyUSB1

   Listening for incoming connection on /dev/ttyUSB1...

# pilot-xfer -l -p /dev/ttyUSB0

   Listening for incoming connection on /dev/ttyUSB0...
#

but never anything else  ;-(

As you can see the device files are owned and writable by only root. There are couple of options that you can try,

1. change the permissions on device files as root.
   # chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB*

   Try to sync your palm.

2. Review the udev rules for ttyUSB* under /etc/udev/rules.d. It is very likely that the default mode is set to "0660". You can refer to 50-udev.rules file. Here is a link from one of the old RH Magazines.

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/udev/

Srikanth