Re: ypbind init script fails

Andrew Robinson wrote:
I'm running FC6 on an eMachines laptop. I'm trying to configure NIS for my growing home network. I seem to be having peculiar problems with the ypbind init script. When I try to start the init script, it fails:

[root@proteus ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind start
Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
Binding  NIS service: .........                            [FAILED]
Shutting down NIS service:                                 [  OK  ]

However, I find that if I run the init script with the restart option, it will often, but not always, succeed:

[root@proteus run]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind restart
Shutting down NIS service:                                 [FAILED]
Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
Binding  NIS service: ...                                  [  OK  ]

If I start ypbind by itself from a command line, it always succeeds. I verify the successes and failures with ps, ypwhich and ypcat commands.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on here? I've been looking for some indication in some log, but haven't found any. The goal is to get the init script to succeed on boot up. (The init script gives the same messages at bootup as it does when run with "start" from the command
line.)

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson

   Try chkconfig ypbind on and when you reboot it will be on and stay on.

Karl