Re: 2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

Mark Haney wrote:
Okay, I"ve asked on another list and haven't had a response, so I
thought I'd ask here.  I've been reading the changelog for the .22
kernel and I'm really interested in the new WiFi architecture rewrite in
it.  I noticed that only a handful of drivers were stable in that
kernel, but that other drivers (including my broadcom card) drivers were
in the upstream kernel still being tested.

Here's my question, how will the .22 kernel work with an old driver
setup?  Will I still be able to use my broadcom/ndiswrapper combo until
the new driver is available, or should I just avoid the .22 kernel until
the driver support is better?

I've read that Fedora and Ubuntu already are using the new driver models
(or something along those lines) so what's been the experience so far?

No love for me yet:

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)

Kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 Requires newer firmware.

The card seems to function, but never will negotiate an IP under any circumstances. Not will it accept a fixed IP.

Get alot of these messages:

Jul 15 04:45:14 serenity NetworkManager: <info> Error getting killswitch power: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KillSwitch.NotSupported - Access type not supported

Good Luck!