Re: How to re-install grub in a RAID 0 system

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:35:34 -0700
Barry Yu <barryyu-cts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A system with 2 SATA 160 gb hard drive configured with RAID 0 by
> Intel Matrix Storage Manager, XP pre-installed (F6 key SATA driver
> installation), I installed FC6 and during installation, FC6 actually
> detected all partitions as what XP detected and finally completed the
> installation, up and ran for a while, both XP and FC6 seeing this
> RAID configured volume as a single hard drive of 300gb (160gb x 2).
> Now the problem is;
>
> I put an Ubuntu CD for live demo but got stuck during the initial
> start, this actually screwed up the system booting and the Grub will
> not work, I use the FC6 DVD and booted into rescue mode trying to do
> the grub-install, however I got message saying that can't find the
> BIOS driver (Can't remember exactly), I remember that during the
> installation of FC6, Grub was installed in /dev/mapping/xxxxxxxxxxxx
> something like that, but now when I do fdisk -l, I only can see
> that /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 (If I remember correctly or close
> enough), grub-install /dev/sda will result "Can't find BIOS driver" .
> Meantime, XP is up and running again after fix, but how to do the
> grub-install to put the grub back into system as boot

Barry,

grub is always installed under /boot, what you were seeing was a
temporary location. I'm guessing that what happened is that the Master
boot record got altered.  When you corrected this for windows, in true
windows fashion it assumed that it was the only OS on the machine and
wiped out the link to grub.  Someone else should be able to tell you
how to recreate that link so you are back to where you started.
Reinstalling FC6 will do it but that seems overkill for your case.