fdisk Linux type

I have seen the trend away from fdisk and always wondered why? Now if your trying to load Linux and you have some wierd problem, my approach is to look at the problem. And no better tool has been made than fdisk. I guess the powers to be have decided it is too powerful and hard to understand it should not be made public.

Well if I have a problem I put in the now DVD "first disk" and punch rescue and let it come up and connect to my Linux. Then I run fdisk to see what is on the Hard disk. If I do not like what is there I change it to what I want. It always works and now I remember to check grub and make necessary changes.

Karl