Re: F7 install Kernel Panic -

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

I have a new Live CD install that after partially configuring I yum
updated but which can not boot to the new kernel [3228.fc7].

It starts off normally and quits early on with "Kernel Panic - not
syncing: Attempted to kill init!" whatever that means, I love those
error messages.

There's too much for me to type manually but it begins with "mount:
could not find file system '/dev/root'" which sounds fatal!

I think this usually means that the kernel could not find
the partition you nominated for root in grub.conf .

Are you for example using LABELs, as recommended for Fedora-7
in grub.conf (root=LABEL=...) and in /etc/fstab ?

This is essentially a plain unmodified install, I booted from the Live CD and clicked on the Install icon on the desktop. I did elect not to use dhcp but the rest is unchanged. All I did was run update from the opening command line. That chugged along for the better part of two hours and wound up in a continuous loop of error messages requiring that I "reset" after observing that mess for about five minutes. I then rebooted after supper and let PUP run the update, it seemed to pick up after the point where the earlier effort had downloaded and appeared to finish the update without a hitch until I rebooted as it suggested I should.

I would have liked to do away with the LVM stuff when installing but have yet to learn how to accomplish that.

Bob Goodwin