Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 02:15 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
I'd give Centos 3.x a try on old machines.  It has the 2.4 kernel and
is still supported with security/bugfix updates and administration is
very similar to fedora. And on a server, old versions are fine.

I'm curious why you'd say as old as 3?  Are the releases, since then,
that much more demanding of resources?

Support for some older hardware has been dropped, and the new features of 2.6 are mostly geared toward multiple processors and removable media. You can still expect Centos3 to run for years and everything a server needs already works on it - dovecot being a possible exception since it was a pre-release version. If you run it you might want to grab a newer src rpm and rebuild it. You probably wouldn't want it on a desktop since desktop apps are still improving and 'enterprise' distributions only get bug/security fix updates, not new app versions or features.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx