Re: [OT] DNS & DHCP on a router

On Friday 13 July 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 13 July 2007, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
>>> Linksys WRT54G router  with dd-wrt is 100x more best than d-links
>>
>> Or, dd-wrt for x86 installed on an old 400mhz x86 box with a couple of
>> nics and an atheros based wireless card will blow all the rest of them
>> into drydock for a refurbishing.  Any old x86 box, k6 or better, 32 megs
>> of dram and a $3 cf adaptor on the end of an ide cable, no hard drive or
>> floppy, runs headless.  Download the image, dd it to a cf card, plug the
>> cf card into the adapter and power it up.  Configures from a web page at
>> (resetable) 192.168.1.1 with any browser.   Whats not to like?
>
>Big case, noisy fan, too much power consumption...

PSU fan, smallish cpu fan on a k6-III, might use 50 watts.  No hard drive or
other noisemakers in it.  Its sitting open to the world and I can't hear it
over the fans etc in the big tower under the next desktop.

>> There are some versions of that which will fit in the WRT54G, but some
>> services will be stripped due to a lack of resources in some versions of
>> the WRT54G.  The best was the WRT54G-L, but those are under armed guard
>> paid for by whoever was lucky enough to find one.
>
>Is this the good one?
>
>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1
>820385&sku=L48-2468

Yes, and I stand corrected, I looked for one high and wide a year ago.  Be
aware that it is now at least 3 year old stock, and may need to be
resuscitated from brick status, although I'd be surprised if Tiger shipped a
brick. Very surprised.  And at that price, don't break their mailbox putting
a check in it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)