RE: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Yes at work you have it, but the average home user don't have it.

> > So personally I would not recommend anyone, who isn't a
> geek to use it.
> >

> Install it Tomas. Once F7 is installed it is much like
> Windows now. The update software could use some work.
> > I have tried my self a couple of times to install and run Linux on
> > desktop, allways ended up with a no-go.
> >
>     I have been able to install Linux for 13 years now. In
> the early days it was tough. Today it is much simpler.
>

> > Everytime I have ended up with bying full non-oem XP
> licence's instead.
> > I do run it on my servers though.
> >

>     How do you get the server loaded?

My mistake, it wasn't a desktop it was my old laptop, that I gave to my
daughter.
I tried FC4, FC5 spent 2 months trying to get, amongst other things, the
"extra keys" to work, no luck, recompiling the kernel several times, to get
the wifi work, tried WPA_Supp, Ndiswrapper, the driver provided by the
manufactorer (both the windriver and the linux-driver(both pre-compiled and
build my own) with no luck at all, finally my daughter (and wife) told me to
stop, and get a XP-cd instead, and thats what finally happened.

The server is simple, since it don't need any fancy things, just the core,
no X no nothing sort of (apart from the basic stuff)

> > XP I can get up and running regardless of hardware in say
> 30 min's Linux
> > takes considerably longer time (days, weeks, months in some cases).
> >
> > XP has basically everything, without hassle, extremly
> stable (basically
> > never crashes). Antivirus software is not an issue really.
> You probably need
> > it on linux as well, at least in the near future.
> >

>     Windows XP thinks virus software is critical to Internet
> working. If
> you do not have it loaded it complains every time you turn it on :-)
Not if you turn the warning off.

> > If you buy a preloaded PC, you probably have everything you
> need, for basic
> > home use.
> > It is cheaper for most people to purchase a valid XP
> license than spending
> > hours to get a linux-box to work.
> > Similar with Office, its cheaper to buy MS Office than
> spending time to get
> > Open Officce or whatever thay are called to work.
> >

>     This is simply not true. Open Office comes loaded in F7 and works
> just fine without a single problem. I use Presentation all the time
> because I get many .pps files people want me to see.

I guaratee you that if you give someone that never have seen a computer a
FC7 disk, a empty computer, he/she will not be able to install the stuff.
Do the same with Win and MSO, he/she will probably succeed (I've done it
with this result).

> > You can easilly fool yourself with the pricetag on any
> software, but time is
> > monney, allways.
> > Regarding MS support, well, those few times I have been
> forced to use it, it
> > is very good.
> >
> > Personally, however I don't like MS-Office especially
> MS-Word, I love
> > WordPerfect, but last time I tested it it was extremly
> buggy, anyone that
> > knows how it is today, with the latest version?
> >

> Try Open Office Write. It is far better than MS Word and as
> good as Word
> Perfect.
> > With best regards
> >
> > Tomas Larsson
> > Sweden
> > http://www.tlec.se
> > http://www.ebaman.com
> >
> > Verus Amicus Est Tamquam Alter Idem
> >

> Karl Larsen Danish in New Mexico
I will probably get WP and test it again (when there is time), last time it
was a complete disaster.