Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

GaryCarr wrote:

However, I don't believe Linux is a viable option as a consumer desktop for most consumers. I have serious doubts that it will ever be a viable consumer desktop option. I have heard numerous people recommend booting a live CD on a friend's windows box to convert them to Linux. If I boot the latest Ubuntu live CD on my HP laptop, it looks great. However, I can't connect to my wireless network, and I can't print on my printer. I have never tried it from a live CD, but I'm pretty sure I could not play music on my external USB disk, nor view videos sent from friends from windows boxes. The Macintosh has taken over the "not windows" consumer desktop niche, and I think it will only expand its position.

The Mac brings up a good point. You really have to split this issue into several questions.

First, do you need MS Windows? As Mac users will generally attest, the only reasons you'd answer yes to that is if you already run some program only available for windows, or you've allowed your data to be saved in some format that can't be converted, or you've been severely brainwashed by some sort of Microsoft training and refuse to do things a different way. Even if you answer yes here, there is still the possibility of migrating your existing windows system(s) to VMware or parallels virtual machines under Linux or OS X.

Second, do you need programs not easily available on Linux? Currently I think the legal conflict between the GPL and patented codecs needed for multimedia makes this a very messy issue. Realplayer seems to be the only free and legal option that will play most media on Linux and it's no match for itunes on the Mac or windows (although Apple could easily fix this with a Linux version of itunes...). MS Office might also be brought up in this context, but OpenOffice will handle anything you are likely to need at home.

Third, will it work on your hardware? If you are buying a new machine the option of getting Linux pre-installed puts it on equal footing with windows and macs in this respect. It doesn't make any more sense to dwell on the problems of installing Linux on incompatible hardware any more than it would to say OS X isn't suitable for home use because you can't install it on your old windows box. If it does work, great. If it doesn't, you may still consider it for your next purchase or get started by running it under VMware on your existing system.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx