Re: Yum annoyance: "[Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum" over and over

Kam Leo wrote:
Yum is dumber than dumb when it comes to the mirrors list. It just
goes down the list until a working site is found. Connection quality
and speed are not used. You probably need another plugin, i.e.
fastestmirror, to get mirrors that work with your connection.
[Disclaimer: I do not use fastest mirror and cannot vouch for it.]

The other choice is to examine the mirrors list, find a site that
connects reliably, and hard code the site into the .repo file. [I use
this method.]

The problem here isn't connection quality and speed - even if every one of the one or two dozen servers it has to go through is fast, it takes a long time to go through them. The strange thing is that I can alternate between "yum update" and "yum clean metadata", and sometimes it works on the first mirror, sometimes after one or two failures, and sometimes after a few dozen. They tend to fail in bunches - either a lot of failures or very few. It wasn't like this until a few weeks ago - shortly but not immediately after F7 came out, I think.