How to restore desktop?

I accidentally blew away some files in ${HOME}, including ~/Desktop. Now when I log in for a desktop session, Nautilus apparently uses ~ as the "desktop" filling my screen with hundreds of icons for all the accumulated cruft from my home directory ;-)

I figured that once I restored the Desktop directory, my nice clean desktop would re-appear, but no such luck. Nautilus continues to spew junk all over the screen.

Gconf doesn't seem to have the answer either:
$ gconftool-2 -R /apps/nautilus
 start-state = []
 /apps/nautilus/desktop:
  home_icon_visible = true
  network_icon_visible = false
  computer_icon_visible = true
  trash_icon_name = (no value set)
  home_icon_name = (no value set)
  trash_icon_visible = true
  volumes_visible = true
  computer_icon_name = (no value set)
 /apps/nautilus/list_view: ...
 /apps/nautilus/icon_view: ...
 /apps/nautilus/sidebar_panels: ...
  /apps/nautilus/sidebar_panels/tree: ...
 /apps/nautilus/preferences:
  desktop_is_home_dir = false            <---###

Any ideas how to reverse the damage?

<Joe