Re: Laptop Dual boot with WinXP

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 23:44 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 12:33 -0400, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> >> Where can I get the best information on
> >> how to install FC7 as dual boot with
> >> WinXP on a Compaq laptop?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike.
> >>
> > The good news is that it is easy to do. You should install WinXP first
> > in the first partition on the disk, Then install f7   and tell the
> > installer to leave the XP partition alone. Once it is installed f7 , XP
> > will show up in grub.conf as Other and choosing that option will boot
> > XP.
> >
> > Now the bad news. Compaq has traditionally installed a special partition
> > as the first partition if you buy the machine with XP installed. Dell
> > does the same thing. This partition is used to restore XP.
>
> I don't think that is really a problem. One approach is to use a live CD
> (Fedora's or, my preference, Ubuntu's) to boot up from that CD and
> resize the hard disk such that you reduce the size of Windows partition
> and leave the other initial partition (Compaq's or Dells' or another
> manufacturer's) as it is. Then, you may install Linux in the space you
> freed up by resizing Window's partition.
>
> Note: It is very important to back up all important data you may have in
> Windows partition before trying this.
>
> Also, a few friends of mine tries this with a Ubuntu live CD it worked
> out okay for them.
Although I agree with you in principle, in practice this is what I have
found. The local Linux User Group runs install fests. We have had a hell
of a time with the Compaq's secret partition, which turns out to be
formatted something odd like FAT12. But what you propose might work.
Because I do, Because I do not hope, Because I do not hope to survive
Injustice from the Palace, death from the air, Because I do, only do, I
continue... -- T.S. Pynchon