Re: cannot get glxgears working on FC7 with nvidia card

On 7/11/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 12:47 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> That helped. It was telling me that GLX cannot be used with Composite
> extension enabled. Well, I was assuming the by commenting out the
> Composite extension in xorg.conf file I could prevent it from being
> enabled. Turns out that I have to explicitly disable it in xorg.conf
> file. So using
> Section "Extensions"
>           Option     "Composite" "Disable"
>   EndSection
>
> worked.

Hmm, I've got it explicitly enabled, and I can run it with my NVidia
card.  I wonder if that requirement depends on which card it is?  I see
comments in the thread that it needs disabling with the legacy driver, I
thought mine was one of the legacy drivers.

[root@bigblack ~]# lspci |grep nVidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4200] (rev a3)

[root@bigblack ~]# rpm -qa \*nvidia\*
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx-1.0.9639-2.lvn7
kmod-nvidia-96xx-1.0.9639-1.2.6.21_1.3228.fc7

Darned if I can work out all their packaging shenanigans.  It'd be
easier if they had one package, and it's installing routines picked the
right driver from its contents for the job.  I noticed, too, that the
different packages (for other cards) had different contents in other
ways (i.e. some documentation versus none).

Composite has never been supported in the 1.0-71xx legacy driver, as
the hardware isn't capable of running it.

All the drivers ship with the README.  I'm not sure what kind of
documentation or contents you're claiming to be missing, however if
you're using Livna's packaging you should report these problems to
them.