Re: Minimal Boot Media?

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:28:40 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
At the Fedora project home page I click:

  Get Fedora -> Network Install

I find myself on a doc page.  Is this a bad link?
No, I don't think so.

On the doc page I see a partial URL ending in boot.iso ... looks
good, but where is it?  I looked for it at several mirrors, but I
see only Live CD and the full DVD.
That path should be good on any mirror.

Where is it, or should I use Live CD?  I expect that on my systems,
I will not want much of what is on Live CD.
I would suggest grabbing the rescuecd.  It contains what's on the
boot.iso plus the second stage anaconda installer, which you'll end up
downloading if you use the boot.iso anyway.  Another advantage to
using the rescuecd is that it is signed, so you can verify it's
integrity via gpg.  The boot.iso is not signed, and therefore you
can't verify it.

As one example, the rescuecd iso can be found at:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/7/Fedora/i386/iso/

[...]

I got the rescuecd as suggested and booted from it on my
laptop that has with WinXP and a free partition to be used
for FC7.  It lists some options, but none for installing a
new system. The option is "Install or Upgrade an existing
system".  I do not have an existing system that I want to
upgrade.  How do I proceed?

Thanks,
Mike.

Try Install. When you get to where I talks about what to install tell it you want to select first. Here you can pick and choose what you want to load.

Karl