Re: Digital Ham Radio

Karl Larsen wrote:

I got my Amateur Radio software named Gmfsk compiled and working, but when I try to transmit I get this error message.
*** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy ***

I thought perhaps this means I have no ownership of /dev/dsp but I found I OWN /dev/dsp which was a shock :-)

[karl@localhost ~]$ ls -al /dev/dsp
crw-rw----+ 1 karl root 14, 3 2007-07-10 04:42 /dev/dsp
[karl@localhost ~]$

This software has been a problem but I got it working in FC6. There I had to give myself uucp Group and then the Serial Port /dev/ttyS1 worked. I have already done that here but the /dev/dsp problem is a new one.

   Has anyone seen something like this?

Karl

I turned on the software again so that I could receive some data and that worked fine but I got an odd error message that said:

(gmfsk:7540): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Could not open network socket.
*** opensnd: open: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy ***
[karl@k5di ~]$

The gmfsk:7540 is my old software and the part about not open network socket sounds like it might be bacause I am using NetworkManager now. This IS a change from FC6 so I think it is worth changing back to network to see if that fixes the problem.

Karl

Alas, the change to network did stop the error call about network but the busy /dev/dsp remains a real problem.

Karl