Re: Install Fedora to separate partition or chroot on a running system?

On 7/10/07, Chuck Anderson <cra@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there any way to install Fedora, using either anaconda or yum or
something else, to a separate partition or chroot path, on a system
while it is currently running and booted into Fedora?  I realize you
can't safely upgrade a currently installed system while it is running,
but I want to install and/or upgrade a *separate* copy than the one
that is currently running.  I was thinking of something along the
lines of what revisor does to create a Live media image, or what mach
does to create a buildroot, or what virt-manager/virt-install does to
install a Xen guest, but instead I just want to create a regular
Fedora install that I can then boot the real system into after it is
done installing.  I realized that I might need to manually tweak the
bootloader, etc.

e.g. something along these lines would be excellent, where I have
already created the blank filesystems and mounted them under
/mnt/new-fedora-root:

anaconda --root=/mnt/new-fedora-root

you can try using yum's installroot option .. the revisor ppl might
know more about what to yum first to make a basic system..

I usually use this to create a basic console system ..

yum  --installroot=<root directory> install yum rootfiles bind-utils
gnupg vim-enhanced vixie-cron crontabs passwd which kudzu dhclient
pciutils eject alsa-utils mkisofs wget bzip2 zip screen prelink

Thanks.

regards
Hikaru
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail