Re: autoconnect to telnet server.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:31:00 +0200
Guillaume <guillaume.chardin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to use the telnet client via with cron & script to
> execute special command on a telnet server.
> On telnet manual i saw the -l option used to specify the user. But i
> dont find any way to give the password (of course in clear text, i
> dont speak here about security).
> I try several commands like
> ] telnet -l $user host <passwdor
> ] echo password | telnet -l $user host
> ]cat passwordfile | telnet -l $user host
> None of this works. Does someone can help me ?

Its usually a lot easier to work with netcat and expect or chat

If you don't need to check inputs then

cat file | nc box 25

should work fine where file contains the data. A lot of programs flush
input buffers before reading passwords which tends to break other
scripting approaches

See

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=expect