Re: X problems

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
having problems with X on Fedora 7, these are problems I did not have with FC6.

The big problem is X is locking up, the system continues to run and it accessable via the network, but a CTRL-ALT-BKspace does not restore the X session.

Does X die and leave whatever was previously displayed on the screen? I had a problem with an Intel 865G card a long time back. X would actually abort and the screen would not reset until the Graphics card is reset by a system reboot.

I found in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old the following:

(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
Error in I830WaitLpRing(), timeout for 2 seconds
pgetbl_ctl: 0x7ef80001 pgetbl_err: 0x0
ipeir: 0 iphdr: bf089b31
LP ring tail: 700 head: 0 len: 1f001 start 0
Err ID (eir): 0 Err Status (esr): 1 Err Mask (emr): ffffffdf
instdone: ffe5fafd instdone_1: fffff
instpm: 0
memmode: 0 instps: 8001e022
HW Status mask (hwstam): fffedffe
IRQ enable (ier): 2 imr: fffe0000 iir: 80
acthd: 2dd8024 dma_fadd_p: 2dd8100
ecoskpd: 307 excc: 0
cache_mode: 6800/180
mi_arb_state: 44
IA_VERTICES_COUNT_QW 0/0
IA_PRIMITIVES_COUNT_QW 0/0
VS_INVOCATION_COUNT_QW 0/0
GS_INVOCATION_COUNT_QW 0/0
GS_PRIMITIVES_COUNT_QW 0/0
CL_INVOCATION_COUNT_QW 0/0
CL_PRIMITIVES_COUNT_QW 0/0
PS_INVOCATION_COUNT_QW 0/0
PS_DEPTH_COUNT_QW 0/0
WIZ_CTL 0
TS_CTL 0  TS_DEBUG_DATA fef7fdf6
TD_CTL 0 / 0
space: 129272 wanted 131064

The space xxx wanted yyy error sounds familiar with one system that I tried running two different video cards on. The error could have been from an Intel graphics using one graphics card. Regardless this sounds like a problem introduced into the newer version of the driver.

FatalError re-entered, aborting
lockup

Did you add lockup or was this part of the excerpt from the log.

The motherboard is an Intel DG965RY with a built in video card lspci reports the VGA controller as: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Which driver are you using? (i810 or intel)

I believe one of the screen savers is triggering the bug as it just started happening after I loaded a bunch of screensavers and set it to randomly choose one, plus it only happens when the system brings up a screensaver.

noof was a good one for my testing on an Intel driver where X crashed but left a residual display on the monitor.

In addition I have noticed that I can not play video's with mplayer which by default uses xv (?) unless I specify "-vo x11" in FC6 I didn't have this issue.

I think that you might get away with downloading the fc6 version and reverting using rpm and the --oldpackage argument to see if it is specifically caused by changes in the driver.

I'm guessing that F7 is using a modified or new version of the Intel graphics driver. Any way to either load the version from FC6 or specify the equivalent driver in Fedora 7?

Hopefully you only need to revert the driver. File a bug report for it if the reverting to the older driver helps. Otherwise you might have problems with some other X package which brings out the bug with the Intel driver.

Jim