Re: F7: SELinux feature or bug?

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 14:51 +0200, Jeroen Lankheet wrote:
Hi all,

I think I've been stupid or framed or both. I wanted to samba share a USB disk on a F7 system but got an SELinux message saying that the directory could not be shared, and that there was a command to get it right (=wrong?).
So I typed in

chcon -t samba_share_t -R /

Yes, that's what was in the SElinux message thingie as suggestion. And being a total SELinux nitwit I did what the almighty Linux system adviced.
So it took a while before getting "operation not permitted" on /dev/....
Then I cancelled the operation but the damage has apparently already been made. I retyped the command with the proper directory to share and now the share worked. But when I restarted the system all kinds of services were broken including /dev/eth0. The kernel could not find the eth0 device. The X configuration was gone and all kinds of errors were smashed into my face. So it looks like the SELinux (or me myself?) has scrambled my harddisk. I cannot even login anymore. The system is completely dead.
Some 'simple' questions:
Why did this go wrong?
What actually did go wrong?
What to do next? Re-install? That would be a bummer.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Jeroen.

It looks like you set the SELinux context for the *whole* hard drive,
rather than the directory that you wanted to share.  The easiest way to
get it working again would be to append "selinux=0" in GRUB when you
boot the computer.

You'll have to ask some of the SELinux experts here how to reset the
contexts to what they're supposed to be.

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan,

I already restored the default policies on all files. But that did not the trick. With disabling selinux I can actually login again.
Now what to do with the selinux, reinstall selinux? Anyone?

Regards,
Jeroen.