Re: X problems

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 21:39 -0400, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
having problems with X on Fedora 7, these are problems I did not have with FC6.

The big problem is X is locking up, the system continues to run and it accessable via the network, but a CTRL-ALT-BKspace does not restore the X session.

I found in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old the following:

<snip>
The motherboard is an Intel DG965RY with a built in video card lspci reports the VGA controller as: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

I believe one of the screen savers is triggering the bug as it just started happening after I loaded a bunch of screensavers and set it to randomly choose one, plus it only happens when the system brings up a screensaver.

In addition I have noticed that I can not play video's with mplayer which by default uses xv (?) unless I specify "-vo x11" in FC6 I didn't have this issue.

I'm guessing that F7 is using a modified or new version of the Intel graphics driver. Any way to either load the version from FC6 or specify the equivalent driver in Fedora 7?

I belive FC6 uses the i810 driver by default, while F7 uses the intel
driver by default.  Both are available in F7.  The intel driver is the
"new" driver.

Jonathan

How can I specify the older driver? even if it has less capabilities the capabilities are more than sufficient for my purposes.