Re: WiFi for a laptop

Richard England wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Richard England wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 06Jul2007 16:40, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sam, if Windows is right the WAN miniport is a L2TP whatever that is. The CPU is Intel and can step down in speed from about 2791 MHz. Since you have two laptops working can you point me to any help you used? I have the latest kernel 3232 that has a lot of stuff in modules and I can get them to work if I knew how.

It's worth checking the output of the "lspci" command under linux.
For example, mine includes these lines:

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) (rev 03) 02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)

The bottom one is my WiFi interface.

My /etc/modprobe.conf file says (amongst other things):

  alias eth0 e1000
  alias eth1 ipw2200

which causes the command "modprobe eth1" to load the ipw2200 module.

I'd imagine the "system-config-network" command should figure this out on its
own for the common cases. How's it do for you?
Well mine is no where as clear as yours. I have two so called ethernet cards in my laptop. One is a Atheros Communications Inc. and the other is a Realtek Semiconductor Co. so I'm not sure which is what. Guess I will run both through Google.

Karl

Sheesh.

Why don't you post the output from lspci so everyone can see it.
You probably have a NIC (Network Interface Card) as well as a WiFI card. I would suspect the Atheros is the WiFi but with no evidence it is hard to know.

You are right. It is the Atheros because it has MAC811 in it's name and the other one is the eth0 ethernet divice. So I know the name of my device, how do I use that to select a proper driver from the many?

As for posting the whole list, It is on a laptop with no Internet. I could make a file of it and put it on a Flash drive, bring it to this computer and add it to a message. Too much work.

Karl

You need to configure yum to access the livna repository and install kmod-madwifi.i686 from there. That should give you the kernel module needed to support the Atheros chip set. Since you seem to think NetworkManager won't work, you might also consider installing madwifi.i386 which will give you some diagnostic tools you can use to get information about your madwifi Atheros wireless connections.

I'm using a PCMCIA card so my configuration will be different in details but the chipset should be similar and it works fine...even with NetworkManager.

More information available at http://www.madwifi.org/

I have been there and I have yum installed 2 rpm files with madwifi in their names. I will use NetworkManager assuming the testing I am doing at the moment will work well. When the test is complete and successful I will work again on the laptop.

Karl