Re: NetworkManager Problem

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 09:40 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 12:21 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
> > Has it been pointed out that NetworkManager takes all interfaces it
> > controls down when you log out?
> > It then brings them/it up again when you log in.
> >
> > In other words, NetworkManager is user oriented.  This allows the user
> > to control network services customized by user.
I thought that the above was not true and it is not. When I logoff and
logon as another user the wifi netwqork connection persists. And that
would obviously be true for a wired network connection.

> Though that would limit its usefulness.  There's all manner of things,
> even on a client PC, where pulling the network up and down is going to
> disrupt things (NTP, software updates, maybe even X if it's using the
> LAN address rather than localhost).
>
> If that behaviour wasn't configurable, I wouldn't use it.  I want
> computers to be accessible by other computers on the LAN, whether or not
> someone's logged into them.
>

> --
> (This box runs FC5, my others run FC4 & FC6, in case that's
>  important to the thread.)

It's the opinion of some that crops could be grown on the moon. Which
raises the fear that it may not be long before we're paying somebody not
to. -- Franklin P. Jones