Re: WiFi for a laptop

Fred Erickson wrote:
On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 18:05 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 06Jul2007 16:40, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sam, if Windows is right the WAN miniport is a L2TP whatever that is. The CPU is Intel and can step down in speed from about 2791 MHz. Since you have two laptops working can you point me to any help you used? I have the latest kernel 3232 that has a lot of stuff in modules and I can get them to work if I knew how.
It's worth checking the output of the "lspci" command under linux.
For example, mine includes these lines:

  02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)
  02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)

The bottom one is my WiFi interface.

My /etc/modprobe.conf file says (amongst other things):

  alias eth0 e1000
  alias eth1 ipw2200

which causes the command "modprobe eth1" to load the ipw2200 module.

I'd imagine the "system-config-network" command should figure this out on its
own for the common cases. How's it do for you?
Well mine is no where as clear as yours. I have two so called ethernet cards in my laptop. One is a Atheros Communications Inc. and the other is a Realtek Semiconductor Co. so I'm not sure which is what. Guess I will run both through Google.

Karl

Karl, I'm no expert on this but my laptop (older Sony w/AMD cpu) running
Fedora 7 is using a pcmcia wifi card from Belkin with an Atheros chip.
The driver from Madwifi works great - shows up as ath0.

Fred

OK and sounds like your right. I do have a Atheros chip! I think Madwifi is in my kernel modules but will check to be sure. So I now know what to find based on the known Atheros chip. Will see if this works.

Karl