Re: Connecting an extra computer to Internet

Tim wrote:
> Steve Searle:
>>> Is this your router:
>>> http://www.thomson-broadband.co.uk/products/Details.asp?ProductID=514
>

> Kevin J. Cummings:
>> But, will his ISP provide him more than one IP address?  This is the
>> limiting factor!  If the ISP will only give him 1 IP, what happens when
>> the 2nd computer asks and gets no answer?
>
> If that link was for the right modem, then he should have no problem.
> Further down the page, the product details say:  "Allows Multiple users
> to share a single IP address on the same ADSL connection".  That implies
> that it does something like NAT (the modem gets your public IP, your LAN
> runs on a different subnet using private IPs).

More than that, it implies that it also is a DHCP server, leading one to
believe that his "internal" IP address is not the same as his "external"
IP address as supplied by his ISP.  But, indeed, this is good news as it
 should "just work" for him.  YMMV  I was just being careful.  The OP
did not provide all of the sordid details in his initial request.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx