Re: new hard disk

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 16:50 -0400, rodrigo morales wrote:
> I have a new hard disk and I need to add it to my fedora but I am not
> safe like format it and adding it

Basic steps:
     1. Work out which device is your new drive (so you format it, not
        your old one)
     2. Partition it.  Whether you do it as one big partition, or
        several smaller ones, the step's the same.
     3. Format the partition(s).
     4. Add entries to the fstab file if you want it mounted each and
        every boot.

Typing the "mount" command should show the currently mounted drive
partitions.  Those are the ones you want to leave alone (e.g. /dev/hda).
You can use "fdisk -l" to see all the drives on your system, and find
out what device name refers to your new drive (e.g. /dev/hdb).

You can use "fdisk" to partition the drive, give it the device name of
your new drive.  e.g. If, as above, it was /dev/hdb then you'd type in:
fdisk /dev/hdb

You can format a drive with "mkfs.ext3", give it a unique label at the
same time.  Fedora uses labels, now, more than it used to.

Edit the /etc/fstab file with almost any text editor that you're
familiar with.  Use an entry like your /boot partition as a template for
writing a similar line for your new drive partition(s), substituting
different values for device or label names and mount points.

There are man files for all of those commands, have a look at them
first.  Write back to the list if you have troubles, saying how far you
got.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.