Module tricks

It has been awhile since I cared what the kernel has in it. But as I thought "lsmod" will list everything in the kernel and it still does. I did a lsmod and found the modules for WiFi were not in the kernel. The kernel I am using on the laptop is supposed to have all the WiFi modules.

So I did a modprobe ipw2100 and it seemed to work. I looked with lsmod and sure enough the it and ieee81102 was also in the kernel. It didn't start WiFi working yet. I looked at /var/log/messages and it showed both modules loading properly but for some reason NetworkManager was not interested in finding WiFi. I need to do something else.

Be aware that if you modprobe a module into the kernel it goes away with a reboot.

Karl