Re: Dual bootable instalation with windows 2000 server and Fedora 7!!!

Kam Leo wrote:
On 7/4/07, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matthew:
> Any recommendations on how to go about doing this. I have run endless
> searches on the net and nothing is coming up.

I've been researching that project for one of my machines. I found these:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Booting_Windows_on_second_HD_with_Grub

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/How_to_Dual_boot_with_XP_2000_NT_and_install_linux_windows_whenever_You_want

http://geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

I rarely use Windows, so qemu and VMware probably wouldn't be practical
for me.

Here are my recommendations:

1. If the hard drive is over 128 GB install Windows 2000 with SP4 or
else the partition tables can/will get all messed up.

2. Install Windows (any version) into a bootable primary partition
before installing any other OS. Normally, this would be the first
partition on the drive.

3. For NT/2000/XP/Vista use NTFS formatting for the OS partition.

4. Create (optional) FAT32 partition for data exchange.

5. Create an extended partition.

6. Install Fedora (any Linux) in the extended partition space.

I skipped #4 and 5; I bought a 60gb and split it 30gb each. Windows went on the 1st 'drive' and FC went on the other. I let FC worry about formatting its share of the drive.

              John