Re: Dependency Hell : KDE does not depend on X Windows

Javier Perez wrote:
> Hmmm
>
> I did a groupremove of the X Windows System.
> It erased X and KDE as expected. Figuring out that in order to have KDE
> I need to have X, I did a groupinstall of KDE. Kdebase and all its gang
> was installed, but X was left out!!!????
>
> When I did 'startx', the systems could not because X was missing.
>
> I would have thought that kdebase needed xorg-server-x11 at the very
> least to launch kde.
> How come they are not linked together?

X is a client/server application. The X server does not need to be
running on the same machine as the client. One example of this is a
terminal server with a bunch of thin clients acting as X terminals.
KDE runs on the terminal server, but the X server is running on the
clients. You never start an X server on the terminal server.

One thing that makes these discussions confusing is that the X
server is the part that manages the keyboard, pointing device
(mouse) and display. So the X server runs on the client machine. The
KDE desktop is an X client program. So you have the client program
running on the terminal server, and the X server running on the
client machine. It takes extra effort to keep then straight.

Mikkel