Re: How to partition an unpartitioned space!!!

Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
Matthew Hoggan wrote:
1) fdisk –l is not working

What exactly is the problem? Error messages?
 'fdisk /dev/sda' should work for you.

If not run as root '/sbin/fdisk -l' fails silently, that
might be what's happening.

2) is it bad that I did not set up a swap, and if so is there a way I can set it up in Linux after installation

Once the partition is created run 'mkswap /dev/sdaX' to set the partition as swap and add the following line to /etc/fstab

 /dev/hdaX     swap              swap    defaults        0 0

Replace X with the appropriate value.

3) I have 150 gigs of un-partitioned space on my hard drive how do I partition it in Fedora so I can write to it from both linux and win2k if that is even possible

It's very much possible. Format the partition as fat32 partition using 'mkfs.vfat'. Keep in ming that MS Windows doesn't support fat32 partitions larger than ~37GB.

This isn't true:
/dev/hdb1   *           1       20023   160834716    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Recent versions of Windows will refuse to create large FAT partitions
though, mainly to get people to move over to NTFS (which there is
good reason to do if you're Windows only).  I would normally prefer
to use each OS to create its own filesystems (therefore Windows
for FAT & NTFS, Linux for ext and Reiser), but if you're set on
a large FAT partition and only have WinXP/MCE/Vista then it has
to be mkfs.vfat.

Alternatively you can keep the partition as ext3 and use 'ext2ifs' on Windows to read and write to it. ext2ifs control panel applet can be used to assign the partition a drive letter.

Fedora 7 can read/write unencrypted NTFS just fine,
install ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs from the F7 repository.

--
imalone