Re: mc

Tim:
>> If only there was a DOpus 5 for Linux.  That's a file manager.

Gene Heskett:
> So was Dirwork2.  So far, none of the filemanagers we have for linux
> is anywhere near as versatile as either of those two were in 1992.

I dunno Dirwork2, and didn't get very far trying to quickly find out
what it was.  But for anyone else reading this, and not being familiar
with Dopus 5, it was NOT a two-pane file program.

It's a *bit* similar to having the nautilus browser open several times
(i.e. you can have several source and destinations), but you have the
full array of file managing functions to play with regex or wildcard
pattern selection for showing, hiding, selecting, files, the usual,
move, copy, rename, open, delete, functions, custom functions, etc.

It made it blindingly simple, and fast, to move around a lot of files,
any way that you wanted to.

What MC had against it was:  Slow and tedious to use.  Convoluted
keyboard navigation, barely working mouse features.  Convoluted
configuration.  Scrolling anything in a text-only environment is nasty.
Even the Gnomified version of MC was hideous.  And, the two-pane
approach is a right pain in the bum if you're doing anything other than
just working with two directories.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386