Re: F7 KDE USB Disk/Memory Stick Umounting

John Austin wrote on Friday 29 June 2007:

> 1. Why are the two "identical" devices treated differently?

I make a reasonable guess: that KDEs "fault". Those devices are not
identical, they have different properties. You can look at them using
hal-device-manager. KDE looks at these properties and invokes different
hal methods over DBUS. In case of the memory stick it would be "Eject"
and in case of the hard drive it would be "Unmount". It think so because
I also have an USB memory stick and an USB hard driver and their hal
method list is identical, but different methods are invoked on them.

> 2. Is there an easy method of changing all USB sticks
>    to act the same as the USB Disk?

I have some ideas but I had no time to investigate them further. I hope I
will have in the near future.

1. Replace hal-storage-eject with hal-storage-unmount (in /usr/libexec)
   UGLY. And not update-safe.

2. Write a fdi file which either removes the Eject method from hal
   methods' list or let "Eject" point to "hal-storage-unmount"
   That would be my preferred method.

3. Somehow tell KDE to provide both options in the device's dialog:
   unmount and eject. That would be just perfect.

> Its just annoying !

I most definitely agree with you. :-)

> Surely you don't have to dig into hal/udev to fix this

About this I'm not so sure...

--
bye,
Adalbert

I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what
others do only from fear of the law. -- Aristotle