Re: Evolution doesn't save state

> Robin Laing wrote:
>
> >> you can clarify your objection to how it works. Is seems possible you
> >> are taking about IMAP processing with the exchange server where the
> >> messages remain on the server. If so I can see that the evolution
> >> approach might be a problem. Is that it?
> >>
> > No IMAP in my case.  Not allowed with the IT staff.  Only OWA using the
> > connector.  It may have been fixed in the newer versions of Evolution
> > that what was on FC4 but I have gotten into the routine of expunging my
> > mail before closing Evolution after I had a stuffed inbox with moved
> > (deleted) messages.  At least messages marked for deletion.
> >
> > I will have to test again to see if this is working correctly in FC6.
> >
> > But the issue is when Evolution does it's tasks.  They should be done
> > immediately, not when Evolution closes.  This brings up the question of
> > how it handles crashes, just as mine did this morning?
>
> I think the problem is that the owa interface is very inefficient
> compared to one like IMAP that was intended as a client API, so the
> operations are batched.  Be sure your company management knows that you
> are wasting time getting your mail.  Maybe they'll give you a laptop
> with Outlook if they don't want to turn on IMAP.

I'm trying to get our Exchange jockeys to look at Brutus
(http://www.omesc.com/).  Brutus is a platform-independent wrapper for
MAPI (the "real" exchange interface).  Fedora 7 includes
evolution-brutus to connect Evo via a Brutus server.

Anyone here have any experience to report?

Thanks.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences