Re: Logitech keyboard

I wrote this for a quasi-tutorial, so I will just cut and paste, as I don't
have time.

Press each multimedia key in turn. Should some not generate keycodes, the
kernel will tell you about them: "cat /var/log/messages | grep atkbd".
Type, "dumpkeys", to find out which keycodes are still available. Then, use
setkeycodes to give each unknown key an arbitrary available code (eg.,
setkeycodes e03b 201). To make the keys known at boot, list a setkeycodes
command for each unknown key in an executable file, then
append '/path/to/unknownkeys.sh' to /etc/rc.d/rc.local (no quotes). Run the
script or reboot.

While working in KDE (or any graphical environment), run xev. Press each of
the multimedia keys (the ones that had keycodes, as well as the ones you
assigned keycodes). Note the X keycode for each key and map it to a suitable
X keysym, if it isn't already mapped (the volume and mute keys might be),
eg., keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay. The names of all possible X keysyms are
in /usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB, the relevant ones being near the end. List these
key mappings in /etc/X11/Xmodmap. Note that KDE can use modifier keys to
multiply the mapping possibilities, so there is no point in mapping more than
one X keysym to a key.

Next, put an executable script, containing only the
line 'xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap', into your .kde/Autostart to have xmodmap run
at login. Run the script, or log out and back in. Every key should now work,
ie., generate an X keysym. Finally, select Input Actions under Regional and
Accessibility in the KDE Control Centre to map the keys to commands. You can
program numerous functions for each key by combining them with the Shift,
Crtl, Alt, etc.

That about sums it up. If I omitted something, a bit of fiddling on this theme
should be all you need.