Re: Printer Comm Problem

On Tuesday 03 July 2007, Mike McCarty wrote:
>Today, I find that I have a printer comm problem which I haven't
>had before. I use an HP DeskJet 870Cse, and have for more than
>a year, so far without significant problem. Today, I replaced
>the black cartride, which I wouldn't think would cause any problems.
>
>Now, at the end of each print job, the printer notes that it has
>lost comm with the computer, and starts flashing the yellow light.
>Turning off and back on the printer fixes all up, but I cannot
>start another job until I do this, or I get binary dump on the
>printer.
>
>I use HPIJS with CUPS and FEDORA CORE 2. What steps may I take to
>find out what has gone wrong with my setup?

That's an HP printer, and 50% of that printers smarts are in the cartridge.
If that is _not_ a genuine HP cartridge, and some of the re-builders are
getting downright cute with their packaging, then its possible the cartridge
is bad, particularly if they had to hack the cartridges fill state stuff in
order to reset the empty status in it.

If you think its a genuine cartridge, I might try removing and re-installing
it, washing the contact faces with a q-tip dampened in real alcohol just in
case a fingerprint is getting in the way.  When I say real alcohol, the drug
stores 'rubbing' isn't what I had in mind, the lumberyards & paint stores
sell the real stuff.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)