Re: How to generate č (c-hachek) in KDE

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 17:11 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> With the "us-acentos" option, the keys :` ~ ' ": become dead keys useful
> for forming (say) :à ñ á ä:.  And typing AltGr-Shift-> produces a dead
> ˇ.  This is interesting to know, but it replaces one difficulty (how to
> produce a haček) with a greater one (how to produce a quote, backquote
> or tilde.)

Yes, I couldn't find any way to type those characters when the keyboard
operated in that mode.  'tis about time someone produced better
keyboards, with more symbols on them, so we don't have to do
multi-character combinations in wierd ways.  Keyboard tricks aren't too
painful for the odd word, but I'd hate to have to use them repeatedly
throughout a largish document.

An alternative is to not do what was outlined, but set up the "compose"
key, instead.  It's part of the keyboard preferences (I set it to use my
near-useless Windows key).  Once set up, you have to first press your
compose key before your keyboard changes over from normal typing to
composing characters.  That means that you can type normally, most of
the time.  The keyboard legends indicate what will be typed, as usual.
But for those special occasions, you press the compose key, let go of
it, then type the characters that you want combined, or the character
and a symbol that looks something like what you want.

compose c < gives č

That less-than sign was typed by holding down shift and typing comma.
Don't forget to use the shift key, in the usual way, if the extra
symbols are normally typed using the shift key.

Many of the other ones are a bit more obvious what to type, though some
require a bit of experimentation:

compose ae gives æ
compose e^ gives ê
compose o" gives ö
compose e' gives é
compose e` gives è
compose o- gives õ
compose o~ gives õ
compose o_ gives º
compose (c gives ©
compose (r gives ®

And so on.  There's a few that I can't find (such as degrees, em and en
dashes, etc.), and I've not seen a list of instructions anywhere
explaining how to type any of these.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386