Re: RAID gotchas!

At 2:16 PM +0200 7/2/07, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>Dump is considered a bad choice by Linus himself; read this:
>
>  http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3
>
>(a few years ago, but the words are quite strong)

Linus can be wrong.  See
<http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html> .  In short, no program
can safely back up a live filesystem, so don't claim that dump has a
problem when all backup programs also have the problem.  If the OP used
dump on an unmounted filesystem as he himself recommends, Linus' comments
would not apply at all, nor would they apply if an LVM Snapshot were used.

I use dump and cpio, but I do dump from unmounted filesystems and cpio from
read-only filesystems.  I have a DVD drive and I know how to boot from it.