Re: DHCP and DNS

Thanks for the response, Manuel.  Although I've had this problem a few
times, I rebooted today, and most things seem to be working.  The DNS
problem seems to have fixed itself.

I think maybe the problem was actually related to an SSL-VPN client
I'm using (Juniper Network Connect), which is heavy handed, and
changed my DNS suffix and secondary DNS servers.

On 7/1/07, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El Domingo, 1 de Julio de 2007 20:08, Michael H. Semcheski escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a laptop with wireless and wired networking.  I'm using
> NetworkManager.  Couldn't be happier with it, except for one thing.
>
> When I right click on the NetworkManager icon, and select "Connection
> Information", everything seems OK.  Correct IP and DNS information.
>
> However, the only way I can get DNS to work is to go into
> system-config-network, and set the primary DNS there.
>
> I want the computer to use the DNS server that the DHCP server tells
> it, rather than enter it myself.  Any thoughts?

Hi Michael.

What happen if you set up the dns in the /etc/resolv.conf?

I guess that maybe your problem is that the DCHP server is overwritting your
resolv.conf, you might want to take a look at
the: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX file and look at the line:

PEERDNS maybe you should try to set it to no:
PEERDNS=no

Cheers
Manuel
--