Re: FC6 i386 to FC7 x86_64

David Timms wrote:
Javier Perez wrote:
Hi

How do I go from a FC6 i386 system to a FC7 x86_64 system without
data loss?
I don't know if that is a ~supported or even possible thing to do. {and
I have never tried it}.
see eg:
http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+fedora+upgrade+%22from+i386+to+x86_64%22
http://www.unicom.com/chrome/a/000651.html

I had to change the motherboard of my MythTV system. Given the fact
that x86_4 support was poor at the time I built it, I went i386 on
the install. Now it looks like x86_64 is better supported and I want
to move to a x86_64-only system.

I was able to upgrade from FC6 to FC7 in another system using yum
only (I think my DVDwriter is toast, The FC7DVD came out a coaster).
Therefore I'd rather use the yum/rpm way to upgrade. Nevertheless
when I downloaded the x86_64 kernel, rpm refused to install/upgrade
my current kernel to that version.
{There is a file under /etc that indicates the architecture {i cant remember what it is}.}

You are going to need to do a full install.
Now, in terms of your data you need to ensure:
- that you have multiple partitions
- user data, downloads, recordings are not on the / partition.
- take a copy of /etc {config/settings}, /boot, /root, and /var{default location of mysql database storage} onto this other partition. - rpm -qa>rpm-qa.my_cf6_system.txt {to a location that isn't going to be formatted.}
- rpm -qa --queryformat="%{NAME} ">package-to-install.txt
This makes a space separated list of packages on your previous system, that you can copy/paste into a yum install command after you have installed the x86_64 system {limit is about 5 lines per command from memory}.

Network or hard disk install can be your friend if you have a wonky dvd writer/reader. For hard disk method, you need to have a partition that you wont be formatting during the install, and you place the dvd iso image at the root of that partition {easiest}, and note the partition name {~ /dev/sda6}.

Then you can boot a boot.iso or rescuecd.iso cd image {or a few other ways directly of your hard disk} for the x86_64 architecture. And choose "hard disk" as the install method.

Is there a minimum set of  programs that I have to update together to
make the switch to x86_64?
Its ~ the packages that yum remove kernel {no} would have you remove = ~ everything.

DaveT.

For what it is worth, I had a flaky DVD RW and decided to replace it. Wall Mart has one for $35.00 that works fine. Made in China where else? It works fine with the Gnome software. Had it two weeks now :-)

Karl