gnome-terminal's uglification in Fedora 7

Whose bright idea was it to change gnome terminal (actually vte), so that spaces are no longer underlined?

$ echo -e '\e[4mHelp me\e[24m'

The two words get underlined, the space character does not.

Does anyone realize just how many terminal applications use underlines to visually indicate text-entry fields? Now, they all disappear, and everything looks like crap.

I can't think of any valid reason for this change in behavior, since xterm still gets it right -- the space character is underlined. I can't wait to hear what was the urgent reason for this change that uglifies so many existing terminal apps.