Well I converted my single disk system last night into a dual disk
RAID-1 setup and preserved all my data. I Thought I'd share an overview
of the process and what I had problems with, maybe somebody here can use
my experiences to help them.
First some background, I'm running Fedora 7 with all the current fedora
patches, I am not using any third part repositories (yet) like Livna or
The system is an Intel Pentium D processor with an Intel DG965RY
motherboard utilizing 2- 400GB Seagate ST3400620AS SATA drives. NOTE:
don't forget to remove the tiny jumper (and promptly loose it in carpet)
on the drive to allow it to run at 3.0GB/s if your system allows it, the
jumper comes installed by default limiting speed to 1.5Gb/s.
My system was running fine on /dev/sda, I added the new disk as /dev/sdb
and partitioned it as follows:
/dev/sdb1 1 32 257008+ fd Linux raid
/dev/sdb2 33 1307 10241437+ fd Linux raid
/dev/sdb3 1308 1829 4192965 fd Linux raid
/dev/sdb4 1830 48641 376017390 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 1830 2199 2971993+ fd Linux raid
/dev/sdb6 2200 2568 2963961 fd Linux raid
/dev/sdb7 2569 48641 370081341 fd Linux raid
My partitions were laid out as follows:
/dev/sdb1 = /dev/md1 = /boot
/dev/sdb2 = /dev/md2 = /usr
/dev/sdb3 = /dev/md3 = swap
/dev/sdb4 = extended partition
/dev/sdb5 = /dev/md5 = /var
/dev/sdb6 = /dev/md6 = /
/dev/sdb7 = /dev/md7 = /home
I kept the partition number the same as the raid partition number just
because it made my life easier to keep track of everything but there is
no reason it needs to match.
next I needed to create the partitions, this was pretty simple, I used
the following command:
mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 missing
mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb2 missing
mdadm --create /dev/md3 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb3 missing
mdadm --create /dev/md5 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb5 missing
mdadm --create /dev/md6 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb6 missing
mdadm --create /dev/md7 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb7 missing
Note the "missing" at the end of the command, this will allow the system
to create the raid volumes since the other disk isn't available yet.
I created the file /etc/mdadm.conf and put the following in it. NOTE:
if boot off a raid drive or load the raid module before mounting the
partitions I don't think you need the "ARRAY" entries, but I used them
# Who should get alerts?
ARRAY /dev/md1 devices=/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1
ARRAY /dev/md2 devices=/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb2
ARRAY /dev/md3 devices=/dev/sda3,/dev/sdb3
ARRAY /dev/md5 devices=/dev/sda5,/dev/sdb5
ARRAY /dev/md6 devices=/dev/sda6,/dev/sdb6
ARRAY /dev/md7 devices=/dev/sda7,/dev/sdb7
NOTE: until the second disk was added to the array I only had one entry
following the devices entry (eg devices=/dev/sdb1)
now you need to create the file systems, I kept everything as ext3
mkfs -V -t ext3 /dev/mdX
where X was 1, 2, 5, 6, & 7
Don't forget swap!
Now mount your new partitions, I mounted them under "/mnt"
mount /dev/md6 /mnt/new-root
create the new mount points (you could restore root first then just
mount /dev/md1 /mnt/new-root/boot
mount /dev/md2 /mnt/new-root/usr
Now comes the fun part, you need to move your data to the new
partition. Although I've read where you can shrink the partition and
convert to a raid volume, I decided against that.
I used dump/restore using the command:
dump -0 -b 1024 -f - /dev/sdaX | restore -rf -
NOTE: I'd recommend single user mode for the copy, better yet unmount
the source volume if possible, secondly run this command in the
Second NOTE: by using the option -b 1024 the performance of dump was
increased about 10 fold however upon completion you will get "broken
pipe" error, I found everything was copied properly and didn't worry
All your data is copied to the RAID volume but a reboot will only load
from the old disk. I did the following:
modified /etc/fstab to read:
/dev/md6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/md7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/md5 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/md2 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/md1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/md3 swap swap
defaults 0 0
Note for clarity I removed tmpfs, devpts etc. Also in hindsight I
probably could just use the label command "e2labe /dev/md1 /boot" etc
but I wanted to be positive what would be mounted.
I modified grub.conf on *both* the new partition and the old partition
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 ro root=/dev/md6
and then ran grub to install the boot loaded on the disks.
At this point I rebooted.... and if your familiar with how raid works
you'll know the system wouldn't boot. At this point I booted off the
rescue disk and was able to mount all my raid partitions. Of course
that didn't help me get the system reloaded so I started searching the
internet for clues.
The answer came in mkinitrd mounted my partitions in the recovery mode,
now knowing what I know now should have been prior to the first reboot.
rename the existing initrd file to something else ( eg .old ?) then from
the new /boot directory run the following, and copy it to the old boot
directory as well (unless you can boot from /dev/sdb in your bios)
mkinitrd --preload=raid1 initrd-184.108.40.206.3228.fc7.img 220.127.116.11.3228.fc7
At this point you should be able to reboot and the system will be
running on the (degraded) RAID disks.
If your happy with everything then you can repartition your original
drive (fdisk) to match /dev/sdb once that is done you need to add the
new partitions to the raid volume. To do this enter the command:
mdadm --add /dev/mdX /dev/sdaX (where X is the partition number of the
Do this for all your remaining partitions, and then you can cat
/proc/mdstat and see the volumes being rebuilt ( hint: "watch cat
Hope this was helpful to somebody.