Re: Grub inacuracies

Tim:
>> That's GRUB's own command line interface.  Try typing in help.  You can
>> issue commands in it, much like you see listed in the grub.conf file.

Karl:
> Done that of course and you get a laundry list of verbs that do
> something. It's possible that the secret is to have a printed copy of
> grub.conf so you can see what to do. Will keep looking.

It's certainly worth having a printed copy of a grub.conf file to refer
to when you don't have a working PC to consult, if you're trying to fix
up a machine that won't boot.

I can't recall if it's been said in this thread, but it certainly has
before, the man file for GRUB is virtually useless, the info file for it
is quite comprehensive.  When you see a man file that tells you to read
the info file (notes at the end of the man file), it's worth having a
look.

And, as gets pointed out from time to time, the "info" command isn't
very nice to use.  Try using pinfo, instead (e.g. pinfo grub).  Or, if
you prefer reading in a GUI system, with scroll bars and mouseable
hyperlinking, you can type this command line to start:  yelp info:grub

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.