Re: prelink process using too much CPU

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 12:08:20PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >prelink has quite a lot of work after install (or when glibc is upgraded),
> >just let it finish (shouldn't take more than 30 minutes on reasonably fast
> >box, unless you installed everything from the Everything set), next time it
> >will be very quick.
>
> That is not my experience, but I use an old version of Fedora.
> Has prelink been made smarter? It churns through all my discs
> for about 15 to 30 mins each time.

Yes, several.  E.g. /etc/cron.daily/prelink won't do anything up to 7 days
since last prelinking, if rpm database has not been modified.
prelink.cache now includes even negative hits - files that aren't
prelinkable, so all it needs to do in quick mode is stat all the files
in the directories that are given in prelink.conf and not in blacklisted
and compare the timestamps, ino_t/dev_t's of the files with those stored
in the cache.  Only what has been modified and whatever depends on the
modified libraries is prelinked.

	Jakub