Re: Formatting CDs

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 03:45 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:
It is annoying that people attack Windows without knowing much about it.
Whether you believe it or not . I do it all the time on my wife's
Windows XP machine and the Windows 2000 that runs on a partition on my
FC4 machine,
I am aware of techniques which work with modern versions of Windows
which allow one to treat a multi-session CDROM as if one could simply
add files to it by dragging and dropping. I have used one myself
like that. But I don't recall "formatting" a CDROM.

Mike
We all loose some of our memory with age. If you could drag and drop to
the CD you or someone formated it.
If I understand Windows' burning scheme correctly, Windows XP has the capability to create sessions on a CD from Explorer. All you have to do is drag and drop the files to the CD, and then click burn for them to be saved to the disk (no formatting involved). The process is quite transparent to end users, but behind the scenes, Windows is using the space left over to create multi-session disks.

Also, if I can again remember correctly, you can actually take a disc made with the method described above and look at the contents of previous versions of the CD in Linux. Using a session number in the mount options can recover a specific session from a multi-session CD, so if anyone has extra time on their hands, Linux could possibly confirm what Windows is actually doing.

Justin W

(If you're talking about a drag and drop without the burning process, then the above doesn't apply, but since you didn't specify, I'm giving my educated guess).