Re: F7: Evolution constantly crashing

Aaron Konstam:
>> Doing a check for new mail every minute would indeed tax the system
>> unduly.

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo:
> mmm... why? is picking up mail so a heavy task? picking up mail from one
> account should take 15 seconds of 90% CPU/mem load? That's by far too
> much!

Why could rapid mail checking be a DoS? - Typically, ISPs have *far*
more customers than their servers can simultaneously handle.  They rely
on most of the customers not using the mail server at the same time, nor
very frequently.  If all their clients did that, or just too many of
them, it ties the server up (a DoS to others trying to use it).  Polling
POP, or even IMAP, isn't a replacement for running your own SMTP server.

I don't quite think the above was what you were asking about, but never
mind.  Someone else might find it useful, and I was trying to cover all
the bases.

Why is your client using heavy CPU checking for mail? - My guess is that
spam assassin is looking at it coming through, checking against a
plethora of rules.  Evolution can get nastily heavy and slow at
filtering mail, especially if you're also doing the remote checks.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.