Re: Help needed with hanging bash script

Tony Nelson wrote:
This is a race condition.  If for any reason the moving happens while the
ls is running your script could get very confused.  Move the files in the
main script, not asynchronously.
John Wendel wrote:
When you see the looping process, run

> strace -p {looping-pid-number}

this should reveal something interesting. If the problem isn't obvious, post some of the output here.
Tony and John,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've rewritten the scripts so that the moves occur synchronously in the main script. If that doesn't prevent the problem, I'll use strace to see what the looping child process is doing.

Thank you,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer