Re: Network Places

Michael McGillick wrote:
Hi:
Windows Vista offers a concept called a network place that lets me map a Web address to a folder. When I open the folder, I'm prompted for a username and password, but can then use the folder just like any other folder on my local system. Does anyone know if Fedora 7 or Linux itself offers a feature similar to this? Thanks. - Michael
An old friend working for Microsoft told me last year that the file system for Vista is not such. Vista is a Data Base and every bin can require a password. It is not working out well because people using WindowsXP are not used to all those passwords.

We on Linux are used to this way of doing things. Now to Linux, yes every file in the file system has a owner and group assigned. You can make a file belong to Root or your own login.

Karl