Re: Headless Fedora?

Marc wrote:
> One simple solution might be something like just doing a regular
> Fedora install, then just renaming xorg.conf to something else so X
> won't work.  If you ever do need X, you could just reset the filename
> to the original.
>
> On previous versions and also on RHEL I have been asked if I wanted X
> or not during the install time.  I have only installed fedora 7 one
> time, and I don't remember being asked that but I may very well have
> overlooked it as a selection during setup.  Actually I know why I
> wasn't asked - mine was an 'upgrade' installation - with the 'regular'
> install you *should* have some sort of choice
>
> Marc

If you don't want X to run, boot in run level 3 instead of run level
5. That is one of the reasons for having different run levels. There
is a GUI for doing this, but if you are going to be running from the
CLI all the time, you may as well edit /etc/inittab and change
id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault. You could also edit
/boot/grub/grub.conf and add a 3 at the end of the kernel line you
want to boot into run level 3. This will let you deside at boot time
 if X starts. There is also an option during install to set if you
want the system to start in run level 3 or 5. (I forget the wording
- something about starting it the graphics mode.)

One the system has booted, you can use telinit to change run levels.
But you don't usually want to do this on a server, because it
restarts most of the daemons.

Mikkel
--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.