Re: Formatting CDs

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 10:00 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>
> >> It is annoying that people attack Windows without knowing much about it.
> >> Whether you believe it or not . I do it all the time on my wife's
> >> Windows XP machine and the Windows 2000 that runs on a partition on my
> >> FC4 machine,
> >
> > I am aware of techniques which work with modern versions of Windows
> > which allow one to treat a multi-session CDROM as if one could simply
> > add files to it by dragging and dropping. I have used one myself
> > like that. But I don't recall "formatting" a CDROM.
> >

> Apparently Mount Ranier (supported in Linux since 2.6.2
> http://www.thehaus.net/AltOS/Linux/ht-mtrainier.shtml
> and in Vista) avoids the need for formatting.

This looks like a viable answer to the problem of formatting CD-RW
disks. Thanks.
Leslie West heads for the sticks, to Providence, Rhode Island and tries
to hide behind a beard. No good. There are still too many people and too
many stares, always taunting, always smirking. He moves to the outskirts
of town. He finds a place to live -- huge mansion, dirt cheap, caretaker
included. He plugs in his guitar and plays as loud as he wants, day and
night, and there's no one to laugh or boo or even look bored. Nobody's
cut the grass in months. What's happened to that caretaker? What
neighborhood people there are start to talk, and what kids there are
start to get curious. A 13 year-old blond with an angelic face misses
supper. Before the summer's end, four more teenagers have disappeared.
The senior class president, Barnard-bound come autumn, tells Mom she's
going out to a movie one night and stays out. The town's up in arms, but
just before the police take action, the kids turn up. They've found a
purpose. They go home for their stuff and tell the folks not to worry
but they'll be going now. They're in a band. -- Ira Kaplan